MTC often looks for new transportation projects and programs in which it can invest federal, state or regional funds.
We do this by issuing a Call for Projects — inviting prospective project sponsors to compete for grants or other funding.
Check this page regularly to learn about upcoming funding opportunities!
Calls for Projects typically are reserved for cities, counties, county congestion management agencies (CMAs), transit agencies or other public agencies that have agreements in place with the California Department of Transportation to receive federal-aid funding. But some Calls for Project are open to nonprofit organizations.
Businesses, nonprofits and community groups often may apply for funding opportunities geared toward public agencies — as long as they team with a public agency willing to serve as the project sponsor. In these cases, the public agency would be the grant recipient, and could then subcontract with the private business or nonprofit.
MTC routinely issues Calls for Projects through various funding programs, including:
Caltrans' Division of Mass Transportation is soliciting projects for the FTA's Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program (Section 5310). This program aims to improve mobility for seniors and people with disabilities by removing barriers to transportation services and expanding available mobility options.
Applications are due by Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Eligible activities include:
- Traditional Capital Projects: At least 55 percent of available funding is set aside for "traditional" projects such as mobility management programs, vehicles or other equipment, including communications gear; computer hardware and wheelchair restraints.
- Expanded Projects: Up to 45 percent of available funding may be used for projects formerly eligible under the FTA's New Freedom Program. These projects provide services beyond minimum ADA requirements, improve access to fixed-route transit service, decrease reliance on paratransit, or provide alternatives to public transit.
For more information, MTC invites you to refer to:
- Call for Projects--Letter to Eligible Applicants
- Call for Projects for FY 2015, 2016 and 2017 Apportionments
- Eligible Projects
- Bay Area's Coordinated Public Transit-Human Services Plan (2013)
- Urbanized Area Map for San Francisco Bay Region (2010)
- Contact List for MTC, Caltrans and County Paratransit Coordinating Council staff
- Caltrans' Section 5310 website
- Caltrans' Section 5310 Fact Sheet