In order to provide economic opportunity for the residents and businesses, and stimulate economic development in the San Francisco Bay Area Region, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), the Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) and the Bay Area Infrastructure Financing Authority (BAIFA) have established Construction Project Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs for construction contracts to assist SBE firms in participating in MTC, BATA and BAIFA's construction contracts. These Programs are aimed at using the power of the public purse to stimulate economic development.
The objectives of the Construction Project Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs include:
- To increase the number of certified SBEs participating in non-federally funded construction contracts;
- To increase overall competition on non-federally funded construction contracts potentially allowing for the completion of projects at a lower overall cost;
- To create a level playing field on which SBEs can compete fairly on non-federally funded construction contracts;
- To confirm that only firms (prime of subcontractor) certified by the State of California as SBEs per the requirements listed at http://www.dgs.ca.gov/pd/Programs/OSDS/SBEligibilityBenefits.aspx are eligible for the bid preference allowed under the Program; and
- To help remove barriers to the participation of SBEs in non-federally funded construction contracts.
Mamie Lai, Director of Administrative Services Section (ADS), has been designated as the SBE Liaison Officer (SBELO). In that capacity, Mamie Lai is responsible for implementing all aspects of the Construction Project Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs.
For more information on the Construction Project Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Programs, contact: Denise Rodrigues, Contract Compliance Officer, at (415) 778-5297; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit our administrative office at 101 Eighth Street, Oakland, CA 94607.